|Nutmeg in the Eye|
|Rows of Perfect People|
|Fresh Hot Gingerbread People|
|Big Sister Likes Them|
|And Baby Too|
|Here they are all dressed up.|
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup plain soy milk
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour (or a mix of both)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each ground nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar for about 3 minutes. Add the molasses and soy milk.
2. Sift in all the other dry ingredients, mixing about halfway through. When all the dry ingredients are added, mix until a stiff dough is formed (I use my hands at this point). Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for an hour or up to 3 days. Let it sit for 10 minutes if you chill it longer than an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a little less than 1/4 inch thick. Cut out your shapes with cookie cutters and use a thin spatula to gently place the cookies on the sheets. Bake for 8 minutes.
5. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then move them to a wire rack. Wait until they are completely cool before icing.